- Octane is an attribute all unleaded fuels have, measured by a Research Octane Number (or RON).
- Lower-octane fuels can result in a spontaneous ignition of the fuel-air mix called ‘engine knock’.
- Engine knock causes the engine to adjust the timing of the spark plug, in order to prioritise protecting itself from damaging over performance.
- Higher-octane fuels can stand more compression before automatically combusting.
- New Shell V-Power unleaded is a 99RON octane fuel.
- By comparison, regular Shell unleaded is 95RON.
- New Shell V-Power unleaded -the power of high octane.12
Watch the video below which explains what Octane is
12 Shell V-Power unleaded with 99 RON. Compared to Shell's regular Maingrade unleaded fuel. Effective in octane responsive vehicles only. No guarantees provided. See shell.co.uk/vpower for more information